The Lordship and Manor of Rushton or Rushton James (Staffordshire)

The Overlordship of the Manor of Rushton.

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rushton like this:

    RUSHTON, two townships and a chapelry in Leek parish, Stafford. The townships are R.-James and R.-Spencer; they adjoin each other; and the latter lies on the North Staffordshire railway, near the river Dane, 5 miles N N W of Leek, and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Macclesfield. Real property, £1, 762 and £2, 537. Pop., 273 and 358. Houses, 55and 78. The manor of R.-James belongs to Antrobus, Esq.; and that of R.-Spencer to freeholders. The chapelry includes also the township of Heaton; and, in 1861, had a pop. of 1,027. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £148.* Patron, the Vicar of Leek. The church is very old, and was formerly called"the chapel in the wilderness." There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.

Domesday Rushton


The Old Crown Farm

London Gazette Notices